Third Frontier Research Incentive
NOTE: This portal services multiple RFP processes. Not all descriptive information on each page will pertain to the Third Frontier Research Incentive Request for Proposal. Please click the APPLY NOW tab to the right and choose the RFP that applies to your area of research. Once you complete your profile, you will see the team page. If you choose to invite others to the portal, you may add them from this page, but this is not required for the Third Frontier Research Incentive Proposal. In the “Stages” section, click “View Questions” to find the upload feature to submit your combined PDF document.
Request for Proposals
Section 381.520 (Research Incentive Third Frontier) of Amended House Bill Number 110 of the 134th Ohio General Assembly authorizes the Chancellor of Higher Education to use appropriated funds under this section to advance collaborative research at institutions of higher education and support programs and initiatives specifically identified in this section. Research areas, programs and initiatives eligible for funding pursuant to this Request for Proposal (RFP) include:
A. Research Areas
- Research regarding the reduction of infant mortality
- Research regarding opiate addiction issues in Ohio
- Research and programming regarding the advancement of cybersecurity initiatives in Ohio
- Research regarding Spinal Cord Injury
B. Programs and Initiatives
- I-CORPS@Ohio Program
- Ohio Innovation Exchange
Who Can Apply
- State universities as defined in section 3345.011 of the Revised Code
- A community college established under Chapter 3354 of the Revised Code
- A state community college established under Chapter 3358 of the Revised Code
- A non-profit private institution of higher education
- Non-profit organizations whose primary missions is to engage in research working in collaboration with eligible institutions of higher educations.
- Economic Development organizations working in collaborations with eligible institutions of higher education.
- Ohio industry and business organizations working in a public private partnership with an Ohio institution of higher education.
- Ohio based organizations whose primary mission is to engage in research working in collaboration with an Ohio institution of higher education
- State agencies working in collaborations with Ohio institutions of higher education
- Administrators of the Ohio Manufacturing and Innovation Center
- Administrators of the I-CORPS@Ohio program
- Administrators and collaborators in the Ohio Innovation Exchange project
- Entities and organizations engaged in advancing cybersecurity initiatives, cyber security product development and cyber education in the state of Ohio.
Registration, Timeline, and Proposal Submission
Proposals are submitted using an online process through the registration and application portal. The proposals are reviewed and scored online by the selection committee who will make recommendations to the Chancellor. The Chancellor will make the final decision on which proposals, if any, are ultimately funded. Note: This portal services multiple RFP processes. Not all descriptive information on each page will pertain to the Third Frontier Research Incentive Request for Proposal. If there is information on a page making reference to another RFP title please ignore that information and proceed to complete your registration, using a few characters to fill required sections that do not apply to you. Once applicants engage the APPLY tab please move forward to upload all attachments.
Applicants are responsible for timely submissions of proposals. The schedule below may be revised by the Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE) due to circumstances and any changes will be communicated to the applicants via e-mail and posted on the ODHE web page, HERE
|Request for Proposals Released||August 9, 2021|
|Proposals Submission Window||August 9 – September 13, 2021|
|Proposal Review Period||September 14 – October 12, 2021|
|Notification of Awarded Proposals||October 26, 2021|